The Cheekies

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Shopping

Sorry for the delay in posts, guys. it's just that I've been a bit busy between school and tweaking my Debian to perfection to post. I didn't plan on being away from the blog this long, in fact, originally I was going to post this morning. However, then I had to go shopping. And I HATE SHOPPING. It's not one of those hyperbole's people say, like OMG, I hate these off-brand high heels, or, Oh my god, I hate it when the guy at Starbucks makes my coffee too hot! In those cases, you don't actually hate those things with a burning passion, like the way the KKK hates black people. You're just making a point about your dislike for the issue. But I, I REALLY hate shopping. I HATE it. Can't stand it at all. Something about the activity just literally drains my soul, as if I'm dying or something. I don't know why; maybe it's just the act of shopping I hate, walking through a store looking for stuff, or maybe it's the atmosphere of shopping, cramming hundreds of people into tiny buildings so that they can pay money for stuff. It's just that while I'm shopping, my mood just slowly falls, and I start to get really stressed. Now, it's not because of money or anything. I'm not that much of a cheep skate. I'm perfectly fine shopping online and stuff. And looking for things, getting the stuff I need doesn't irk me either. But the congestion, the lines, the endless wait shuffling as people take FOREVER to decide what to get, and the amount of problems people bring in? That bugs me a lot. Shopping centers are one of the few places I feel you really get to know someone. Are they bargain hunters? Do they care about money? How do they deal with people? It's all there. People totally expose themselves while shopping. I think it's one of the few times that still happens today, since we're anonymous so much of the time now. Walking down the street, it's very unlikely anyone will know, or care who you are. But when you're shopping, for one reason or another-maybe it's pure boredom from waiting, people can't help but notice you, and when they notice you, you know they can't help but judge you. How many times have you done the same thing? Combine this exposure with judgement, and you're bound to have conflict, which really escalates things. Like today, this kid rammed into his dad with a shopping cart really hard (I was directly behind him) and the dad just started cursing really loudly in Spanish (don't ask how I know this) and another lady just turned around and gave him a piece of her mind in English. Everyone just sort of stopped, the man turned red, the lady smiled and walked away. The man then started cussing at her too, but quietly. It's situations like these that make me dislike shopping. You know, we spend so much time thinking just about ourselves, and pretending like we're the only ones that matter that when we do really get to see our pettiness, our weakness, and dependence on things beyond our control, like when shopping, it honestly puts us down. It scares us. It scares me. That's the reason I hate shopping. I get that we have our weaknesses, and are a small part of a really big and high-def picture, but when I see it like I see it when shopping, it can be a bit overwhelming sometimes. We truly are insignificant.